See us at http://www.konalisacoffee.com ` ` ` ` "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." --------St. Augustine

Monday, May 26, 2008

Synopsis of the last few weeks in May...........

as I can guarantee I won't be blogging in June. Exactly a week from today we take off to TN for the first leg of our trip to visit with family & friends. Two weeks ago we got the opportunity to take a trip to Sedona, AZ. We had never been there and it sounded like a nice r&r for us after the winters care of those coffee trees. You can't deny the beauty of Sedona, especially as you drive in and view those huge red rocks. Only 2 hours away, the Grand Canyon is also quite an experience. I think besides the size I was most struck by the colors of the Grand Canyon. No matter what venue I took to view, it seemed like a painting in front of me and i had to blink to remind myself I was looking at natures painting. The weather was good although a bit hot in the sun. Sometimes you couldn't help being in full sun if you were hiking and that's where I got sun-blistered lips. It took getting back to Hawaii here to heal them up and put some moisture back into my body. As I quenched myself with the ocean water I also looked down and again saw how clear our water is here. All the colors of the sea coral are visible while swimming, snorkeling and paddling. So I guess, to me, it's what color do I prefer. I'll take the greens and blues anytime!!!!

I read an article about the volcano the other day trying to crystal-ball this latest eruption. And that is all scientists can do. It's all unpredictable. The article said that Kilauea erupted/smoked almost continuously from 1832-1924. From 1924 to about the 60's not much happened and then some lasting from 4 months to 18 months until now. Right now this is the longest lasting one in almost a century. What it seems to have done is make this May a bit cooler and rainy and also very voggy. Forget the beautiful bright views. Views are still there just not as dramatic because, to me, they look blurry. Ag consultants from UH are finding that some fruits are delaying to ripen. Fruits like figs and mangos need more sunlight to ripen. Luckily coffee doesn't seem to be bothered by Madame Pele'. That is, I'm sure, why coffee grows so well in Kona. It really likes the weather here. After all, they planted coffee here in about 1825 and it grew and flourished no matter what Kilauea was doing.

No comments: