See us at http://www.konalisacoffee.com ` ` ` ` "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." --------St. Augustine

Monday, November 5, 2007

Two clarifications needed, while I'm thinking about them. First I wondered why the old Japanese carried lanterns with them while they picked coffee. Didn't they do it in the daytime like we do. Well not exactly. They picked and picked until it was all picked and this usually went into the night. We are closer to the equator here than any of you so we have close to equal day and night year round.(In the winter it does tend to get darker a little earlier). And today hand picked coffee is still what you get in Kona. Everyone tells me it is about the only place left in the world still doing it this way. Even in Maui and Kauai they machine pick. The difference is beans don't ripen all at the same time. So a machine, and they use them in So. America and Africa too, strips all the beans from a branch both green and ripe cherry. Green beans make the coffee bitter. Our pickers are instructed to only pick the ripe cherry and we pick 3-4 times a season, by hand. So that's the story as to why Kona coffee is a mellow, not bitter coffee. That's one of the reasons and it only is available in 100% pure Kona coffee. I guess I'll get into more at a later time. And now I forgot what the second clarification was so I guess I will get to that at a later post too. Good Day all........

No comments: