See us at http://www.konalisacoffee.com ` ` ` ` "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." --------St. Augustine

Monday, September 3, 2007

Hawaii loves Holidays

Holidays are big events in Hawaii for several reasons. Mostly it's for family time and getting together to 'tell story' and relax. We have been here for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Statehood Day Aug.18th, and Labor Day and there is always something going on to enjoy. This weekend was the largest outrigger canoe long distance races in the world. Teams from all over the world, like New Zeeland, Haiti, Samoa,and the list goes on come to Kona for an 18 mile endurance race/paddle from O Honaunau to the Kailua Kona pier. Sunday were short distance races which Ron & I watched. The colors were spectacular with canoes of red, yellow, turquoise, blues and greens lining up for a short siren and they were off. Summer is such a great time for these races as the ocean cooperates by being fairly calm. My big event was to paddle with our Keauhou club and bring one of the boats back to our bay. Boats from everywhere are brought in for the races to use and we get to paddle them back the 6 miles. That was my longest distance so far and our steerer was 'Sarge'(will have to tell you about Sarge later). I knew this would be a challenge for me but the awesome dolphin show was well worth it. Dolphins were swimming with us at 1 o'clock and jumping and spinning for a show I'd never seem before. These islands are the only place they have spinner dolphins. Several boats had seen them and we saw them spinning from aways. They seemed to wait for us and when we were near they started putting on their show. They spun and splashed for us and we clapped. Scientists say they spin to shake a parasite off them but today they were spinning just for us as they waited for each canoe to come by and spun for each of us. Stopping to watch them was a good rest for me. I had wondered how I was going to endure the six mile paddle. Also Sarge gives us a rest occasionally. About half way back she barked "No.1 paddles up" you can take a break for 2 sets." A set is 15 strokes on one side and 15 on the other. I was in seat no. 5 so I sure was ready when my rest came. The canoe is now put onshore and I await tomorrow when I can go for a more relaxing paddle but always and interesting one.

No comments: