See us at http://www.konalisacoffee.com ` ` ` ` "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." --------St. Augustine

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Birthday presents

Ron said 'how would you like a new paddle for your birthday" and off we went to the Polynesian Paddling store to get my birthday present. They have the most beautiful paddles there (I will take pictures). Always all wood. The expert was out training for her next reace and they didn't seem to have my size there. The other owner said he could cut one down for me but we decided to wait until the expert was in to make sure of the right size. The length of the paddle to your arms is very important as you twist a little with you shoulder while you reach out and then dig that paddle in and quickly pull back with the other arm. So if the paddle is not the right length you do not get the right power. If it's too short you will lean forward too much and tire you back/not good when going 6 miles. If it's too long you will go too deep in the water which is inefficient. So no paddle yet, but still 2 days before birthday. I am going snorkeling with some friends on Tues. and my fins did not fit me right so we stopped at the snorkel shop on the beach and got some new fins. I also want a new water jogging belt as the one I have seems too big and ends up rubbing against my arm. I saw a very small one and debated, but looks like I am going back as I believe I can also wear it snorkeling. I have never worn a flotation device for snorkeling but most of our friends here are great swimmers, which I am not, and after awhile I get tired and can't keep up. I think the flotation belt will come in handy for those times and I will be able to stay out longer.
Ron ran 16 miles this a.m. and wanted to get a big breakfast at his favorite place, Aloha Cafe. That's on the way down to the Keei area and we could drive by the land. At the Cafe you get to have breakfast with the geckos. The are all over here but at the cafe one came up on the top of the railing next to our table and crawled right up on Ron's shoulder and looked at him, begging for a treat. So we did our usual, opened up a apple jelly packet on the rail and the whole fam damily came for breakfast. (Have to write nicely, my grandkids read this blog.) The couples in the tables next to us were so tickled I think they took dozens of pictures. Just like we did when we first came. Whoops, will have to send some when I find them. The geckos are easy to spot. They look just like that little guy on TV! They are bright green with blue eyes and a splash of red on their backs now and then, usually anywhere from 2-5 in. long. They seems to take care of the bug and jelly population around. Once while out on the lanai I spotted a pretty spider. It was black and yellow stiped with some blue in the center. When I went around to the other side to take a picture the spider saw me an moved quickly and boom out of nowhere the gecko jumped. Spider gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I'll have to return the paddle I got you for your birthday. Your new present may be late. Can't wait for the pictures.