See us at http://www.konalisacoffee.com ` ` ` ` "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." --------St. Augustine

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cherry pickin' time

Been wanting to blog lots lately. I get thinking about it and then I can't decide how to say it all in less words. So this could be long. It's supposed to be 210 days from a blossom till the coffee cherries are ready to pick. But which blossom? Sometimes you get 10 blossoms a season. Usually though only a couple are really big, but we haven't figured out if all the cherry from that blossom ripen all at once or what. You pick a tree many times going over and over it for several weeks and even a month or two. So needless to say we are still picking. Well I have to admit, not me. We have pickers and Ron picks a bunch himself. I kinda just take care of the roasting, packaging. I help some with the pulping and raking, though. And today I did two things. I made a lilikoi reduction to go with the fish we had for dinner and this morning I stood on my head at yoga class. I was so excited with that. I don't think I have ever done that before in my life. While the teacher was explaining I was on my hands and knees saying,'ya right'. Then decided what have I got to loose? I only held it for a few seconds but it was just the thing my back and hips needed. Everything seemed to realign in my body. Hope I can do that again soon!
We don't always work on the farm, although there really is a lot to do this time of the year. But, last week and then the week before was went with friends and did evening sunset cruises with pupus(Hawaiian for finger foods/snacks/appetizers)and cash bar. Slow tourist season, I guess, and good kamaiana(locals)rates. It's beautiful to be out on the ocean anytime of day and especially when you can get a lovely sunset. Even if you can't the views are spectacular. This morning there had been a full moon and from our lanai it just looked so peaceful glistening on the ocean with small little clouds sprinkled around it. A picture you can't really take, you just have to remember it!! Well this could be longer but I am freezing setting here in my tank top. I really cools off some evenings with a breeze coming down from the mountain and makes it nice for sleeping. It's always nice for sleeping but we just have to pull the covers up tonight.

No comments: